Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spanish additions to the lessons

I have been thinking of ideas for integrating Spanish into our curriculum. There are a couple routes we can go. Please let me know which ideas you'd most like to see integrated, because I think if we did all of them, it would be too much. But maybe not? Comment and let me know which would be best and how many things you think would be best.

1. Colors (a few per month, maybe 1-2?)
2. Days of the Week (just add it in to the calendar activities?)
3. Months (same as days, just add it in?)
4. Theme based vocab to mix in (e.g. for September: apple, tree, school)
5. Spanish activities (e.g. 1-2 activities to somewhat match the theme/fruit of the spirit each month)
6. Conversational type Spanish (1-2 phrases per month like "Please" "Thank you" "Good morning" etc.)

I don't want to overwhelm you or your kids, but I want to have options out there. What do you feel would be most fun/beneficial? I can incorporate all of it, but would it be too much? You can obviously do what works best for you, but I don't want to plan activities that seem like too much.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely think that colors and the theme based vocabulary would be great. The months and days of the week would be a good addition for the older kids (4-5) but might make things confusing for the 2-3 year olds who are still learning the English version, but I could be wrong.

    I was thinking that we'd do 2 Fruits of the Spirit activities each month and 2 Spanish activities each month, that way it's evenly split and it takes some of the workload off of each monthly planner. Does that sound alright? And I definitely think conversational Spanish could be worked into everyday language and/or the 2 monthly activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Manda about the months and days. I will probably only teach her words she already knows in English. I know that's technically not what you're supposed to do when teaching a foreign language, but this is more exposing than integrating. With that in mind I'm attracted to the conversational words, colors, and monthly them vocab. Thanks Rhianna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'll keep going with the theme/colors/conversational stuff and see what I can come up with! I do agree it is important to teach them words they know in English already. It'll be fun! I'll make a post of more ideas I have as I come up with some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Colors (a few per month, maybe 1-2?)- one a month I think is good.
    2. Days of the Week (just add it in to the calendar activities?) yes just add it to the calander acitivy
    3. Months (same as days, just add it in?) Def add to calander activity.
    4. Theme based vocab to mix in (e.g. for September: apple, tree, school) yes, i think a few key words a month to tie into theme
    5. Spanish activities (e.g. 1-2 activities to somewhat match the theme/fruit of the spirit each month)
    6. Conversational type Spanish (1-2 phrases per month like "Please" "Thank you" "Good morning" etc.) Defiantly!! How about words that are useful like, more, bathroom, sleepy, hungry, drink, milk, things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Colors (a few per month, maybe 1-2?) 1 sounds good
    2. Days of the Week (just add it in to the calendar activities?) yes? are you thinking each day?
    3. Months (same as days, just add it in?) sure.
    4. Theme based vocab to mix in (e.g. for September: apple, tree, school) I would say 2 max per month
    5. Spanish activities (e.g. 1-2 activities to somewhat match the theme/fruit of the spirit each month) Sounds fun! Though I wonder if these words would be too difficult.
    6. Conversational type Spanish (1-2 phrases per month like "Please" "Thank you" "Good morning" etc.) - Sounds great! What about parts of the body? numbers?

    ReplyDelete