Saturday, August 7, 2010

Get Ready for the Code

I'm not sure how many readers might be interested, but in my search for mazes for my son I came across these workbooks that just fit him perfectly.

This is a preschool lead-up to a popular homeschooling phonics curriculum "Explode the Code". There are 3 small workbooks, all well-priced in my opinion at around $5.99 each. There are letter cards and a teacher's guide to go with it but I personally looked at those and decided they're not necessary.

Here are a few snapshots to preview what the workbook contains. There's the typical preschool work like matching, circling which one is different, etc. and the 3 books go through all the consonant letters, focusing on the lowercase. I love that it focuses on the lowercase letters because those are the ones most often used when we write anyway! The tracing mazes (third pic down) are what I know Tobias will love, this is his new favorite activity for some reason. Not that he stays 100% between the lines, but he does actually try to follow the path and I figure it's good, low-key practice as he moves towards tracing shapes and letters. This is a very phonics-based approach so as you work through each letter the emphasis is definitely on the sounds the letters make.
These workbooks can be found at Christianbook.com, along with other homeschooling curriculum choices.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I look forward to ordering it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a good tracing/between the lines book - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Explode the Code! The school I where I used to work used this all the way up to Book 6 with every kid! Love it! It's cheaper than Hooked on Phonics, too which is what I am using with Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete